R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Help, Cabrio rear window imploded!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
mini_one
Coordinator :: U.S. MINI Club (Long Island)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Cabrio rear window imploded!

I just got this eamil from one of our Club members...Any one else having same problems?

Hey paul whats up I am without my mini for a week now I went in my garage last week and my rear window on the cabrio was shattered. I called the dealer and the said it was not covered under warrenty and it would require me to replace the whole top at the cost of $3000.00. I told them they were crazy the car has 1900 miles on it. I also went on mini forum and found out the their were 42 replies that other mini owners had there rear window on the cabrio implode when unlocking the doors I faxed all this info to the dealer (Habberstad Mini on Long Island new York) and they are still jerking me around there is a serious problem with the rear window!!!!!!!!!!!! They better make good on this I will let you know Jim.

Please if you have any suggestions on how to deal with this it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Paul, host of www.USMiniClub.com

Old 01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont know if this is the same person that talked to you, but there was a complaint on motoringfile that sounded just like that...and there is a discussion somewhere on mini2 about it i believe

Old 01-06-2005, 04:51 AM
mini_one
Thank you, I will look in to it...we are all trying to help.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:46 AM
indimini
4th Gear
The post on MINI2 is the first sticky in the Convertible forum.

We as a community of owners need to make sure our voices are heard and not let BMW/MINI get away with poor design/manufacture!

Old 01-06-2005, 05:50 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The person reported on MotoringFile is from England - but the issue is the rear window self-destructed as she was opening the roof.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
42 other incidents and BMW is not covering it? I can think of a TV consumer advocate that may be interested in the story.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Not 42 incidents - just 42 posts. Looks like 4 or 5 people have experienced this window failure so far; a total of 4,500 convertibles in USA and presumably at least that many again in England.

Of course not every convertible owner is online and posting ... suppose 20% are online, so we have 5 failures out of perhaps 2000 vehicles in about 3 months = perhaps 1% per year

Old 01-06-2005, 06:54 AM
meg
5th Gear
From the looks of the other post about it, people have told the dealer that if it is not a warranty issue then they must prove that someone thing else happened to the window. Unlike the "pen" test on the windshield crack, there is not way they can prove that it isn't a defect, unless they found a rock or something inside the car.

I wouldn't settle for anything less then a fully covered replacement. Everytime I hear even a little creak out of my rear window I get worried.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:09 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Did all of these posts/incidents happen during cold weather? Just wondering if it's related.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimotorin
Did all of these posts/incidents happen during cold weather? Just wondering if it's related.
Too early to tell ... colder weather is here (although not as cold in England) but the convertibles have not been available long either.

Someone theorised that the glass might be stressed by using the demister when the glass is cold, then a subsequent small shock could fail the glass; no proof though.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
No question, this is a defect that Mini has to cover!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
bherrmann7
Neutral
New Convertible, rear window shattered

Has any one else had their convertibles rear window spontanousely shatter?

My rear window shattered on my drive home tonight. I was travelling about 30 miles per hour in the rain. My mini is 8 days old. My VIN is WMWRH3344TF82691.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 AM
mini_one
Hi,

I just got new email from our club member;

Hey Paul I spoke to Ron he and Matt (Habberstad MINI, Long Island) are trying to help me but their hands are tied Tony the manager put in another call in to BMW this after noon lets see what happens the dealer should just fix it I want my MINI back thanks for your help.

...Jim

Also my friends at NewYorkMiniClub.com. especially “MarbelsMahoney” I hope is going to work with me to do more research, and come up with more solid complaint to get backing from all that have experienced this problem. Keep on searching for help and thank you very much.

Paul, host of www.USMiniClub.com

Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Threads Moved and Merged

I took the two threads in the regional forums regarding the shattering cabrio window, moved them here, and merged them together.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Too early to tell ... colder weather is here (although not as cold in England) but the convertibles have not been available long either.

Someone theorised that the glass might be stressed by using the demister when the glass is cold, then a subsequent small shock could fail the glass; no proof though.
I'm not aware of a demister on the rear window of the Cabrio No wiper either. Have I missed something? In the owner manual, it does say not to lower the top in cold weather. I can't remember what temp was given. But perhaps the shattering is cold related & associated with lowering the top.

Lois

Old 01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
indimini
4th Gear
The demister is referring to the heater element that's in the glass. (The wires that are in the glass). It may be referenced in the manual as the rear defroster/defogger.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
How exactly does Mini make you sign an agreement to run the car 90% of the time with the top down, and then tell you not to lower it in cold weather?

Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by indimini
The demister is referring to the heater element that's in the glass. (The wires that are in the glass). It may be referenced in the manual as the rear defroster/defogger.
Sorry, never knew it was called a demister. I thought perhaps they had forgot something on my Cabrio

Lois

Old 01-08-2005, 06:53 AM
mini_one
Originally Posted by DiD
I took the two threads in the regional forums regarding the shattering cabrio window, moved them here, and merged them together.

Keep us posted.
Thank you...There is a good news, my member has been taken care off as per email;

hey paul thanks for all your help haberstad said they are going to replace the top and window no charge one time only, yea right , but im glad I will have my mini back soon thanks again for all your help jim

Can we have this on the forum for all to see please?
Thank you.
(Sorry for double post)

Old 01-08-2005, 06:54 AM
mini_one
My member of www.USMiniClub.com was taken care of!

hey paul thanks for all your help haberstad said they are going to replace the top and window no charge one time only, yea right , but im glad I will have my mini back soon thanks again for all your help jim

-- This may help others with same problem, you can email me at host@USMiniCub.com for more details.